Apple Cinnamon Bran Muffins
Welcome to the best muffin recipe… ever!
The base of the muffin is fluffy and tender, made with crushed bran flakes, oats, yogurt and vanilla, and is laced with chunks of honeycrisp apple and cinnamon.
You’re going to love them!
A few tips for making tender and delicious muffins:
- Don’t overmix the batter. Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Then, combine and fold together gently with a spatula JUST until the batter is mixed. If you continue to mix, the batter will bake tough and not tender.
- Add grated or chopped produce (like apples, zucchini or carrots). They add moisture and make the muffins even more tender.
- Don’t overbake the muffins. If you bake them longer than when they are set, they will become tough. Bake until the tops are just set (they will continue to cook a little after they are out of the oven).
- Use adequate oil and/or applesauce. Or, you can use a mixture of both! I use a heart-healthy oil like avocado.
Apple Cinnamon Bran Muffins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
- Total Time: 25-35 mins
- Yield: Makes 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Baked Foods
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Tender bran muffins with chunks of apples and loads of cinnamon.
- 1 cup crushed bran cereal
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ⅓ cup oil or applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium honeycrisp apple, minced or grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together crushed bran cereal, oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer set on medium to beat together the oil or applesauce, eggs and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the yogurt, milk and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- Use a spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, just until combined. Fold in the minced or grated apple just until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop or measuring cup to fill the muffin cups ¾ of the way full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until just set.
- Let cool, then enjoy.
Baking Tip: Don’t overmix the muffin batter or the muffins will become tough and dry. Just mix until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 188mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
Keywords: muffin, muffins, baked goods, apple, bran, plant-based