Flavorful homemade quiche with bacon, asparagus and spices and an almond flour-whole wheat crust.
- 2 cups almond flour, whole wheat flour or a combination of almond and whole wheat flours
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1–2 tablespoons ice water
- 3 slices uncured bacon, chopped
- ½ pound asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup shredded muenster or Gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour(s) and salt until combined. Thoroughly fold in the olive oil and egg whites, then the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until it forms a crumbly paste. Press the dough into the prepared pie plate into an even layer on the bottom, then push up on the sides. Use your thumbs to create a pattern around the edges. Bake for 22-27 minutes or until crust is lightly golden. Let sit until slightly cooled.
- Heat a medium skillet to medium. Add the chopped bacon and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently, until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but ½ tablespoon of the bacon fat. Add the chopped asparagus to the pan and cook at medium heat 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, Dijon, salt, onion and garlic powders, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes until combined. Fold in the bacon and asparagus. Transfer the egg mixture to the pie crust. Top with shredded cheese. Bake another 28-32 minutes or until egg filling is set. Let slightly cool, then slice into wedges and serve.
Substitution Tip: Try different vegetables, like spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers or zucchini. For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon and add another cup of half cup of vegetables.
Nutrition Note: The nutrition facts below are with 1 cup almond flour + 1 cup whole wheat flour. These will differ depending on what combination of flours you use.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 415mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 194mg
Keywords: quiche, egg bake, breakfast bake