There’s just something super nostalgic about bacon pea salad. It reminds me of being a kid and making this and macaroni salad on a hot summer day. My dad would grill burgers and we’d sit down as a family at the kitchen table in our house that was not air conditioned and enjoy every last bite together.
This slightly (okay, quite a bit) healthier version of bacon pea salad may not be exactly how we used to make it when I was a kid, but it still brings back those same memories. It has spring peas, crisp bacon, cheddar cheese and red onion with a creamy salad dressing. It’s just so good.
Here are the details
- Dressing. It’s made with plain Greek yogurt with a dab of mayonnaise for that creamy richness we all know and love. The original version calls for mayonnaise or Miracle Whip and sour cream. We also whisk in some vinegar and Dijon, then a little bit of sweetener (honey or granulated sugar) to balance it all out. Then, season it with salt and lots of black pepper. It’s a little bit uncustomary, but it’s heavenly, and a whole lot lighter.
- Peas. I just go for frozen spring peas. Thaw them out in the fridge or follow the directions to steam them in the microwave, then let them cool. You can use fresh peas as well.
- Bacon. I use just as few slices and make sure they get super crispy in the pan! This is not a time where you want partially cooked bacon because you want the texture of crispy bacon and you want it to hold up to the dressing.
- Cheddar cheese. You can use shredded or grab a block and cut up some small cubes. It’s totally up to you!
- Red onion. Use as much or as little as you like. I am not a fan of having huge chunks of raw onion in my salads, so I mince it up real small so it enhances the salad but does not overpower it. But you do you!
Everything gets mixed together in a big bowl and refrigerated at least 30 minutes. Enjoy with grilled burgers or any one of my favorite grilled recipes: