Falafel balls made with chickpeas, herbs, lemon and aromatics, baked and served with spicy aioli.
- 15-ounce can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley)
- Zest and juice of ½ medium lemon
- ¼ medium yellow or white onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place all falafel ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process until a smooth paste forms. Optional: place in the refrigerator at least 1 hour. Form the mixture into 2-inch balls and line them on a wire rack. Bake 13-17 minutes or until the outside is slightly crispy.
- Serve immediately or let slightly cool, then store in airtight containers in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Substitution Tip: Try fava beans or edamame instead of garbanzo beans.
- Serving Size: 3 falafel balls
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 358mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegetarian, vegan, beans, chickpeas, baked