An easy vegetarian tostada with black beans and your favorite toppings.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
- ½ medium jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Splash water
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 tostada shells, toasted
- ½ cup guacamole or mashed avocado
- ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup shredded romaine lettuce
- Heat the oil in a saucepan to medium. Add the onion and jalapeno and sauté 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika and sauté 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Add the black beans and water and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and black pepper. Once hot, remove from the heat and use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash the beans.
- Assemble the tostadas by spreading the black bean mixture onto each toasted shell, then top with guacamole, cheese, salsa and lettuce. Serve immediately.
Cooking Tip: Use pinto beans instead of black beans, or a mixture of both.
- Serving Size: 1 tostada
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 255mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
Keywords: tostadas, black beans, vegetarian, plant-based, dinner