Maple Gingerbread Pancakes
What are you making for breakfast this holiday season? I have my eye on these Maple Gingerbread Pancakes because the recipe can easily be scaled up for a bigger family, they’re easy to make and are absolutely delicious!
I went ahead and added a few nutritional powerhouse ingredients to the batter to make them a good-for-you breakfast option, but without sacrificing flavor or texture. In fact, I think the whole wheat pastry flour and flaxseed give these cakes a wholesome, hearty bite and I am absolutely in love with it.
The whole wheat pastry flour is somewhat of a specialty ingredient, so if you can’t find it, go ahead and swap in regular whole wheat or all-purpose. You can even do a mix if you’d like! But I do like to keep whole wheat pastry flour on hand because it’s more finely ground than regular whole wheat, so it results in lighter, more tender baked goods. The flaxseed adds omega 3 fatty acids and fiber!
To make them maple gingerbread, I added fresh and ground ginger and real maple syrup – yum! Fold in a few spices, like cinnamon and cloves, and you’ve got some fabulously festive pancakes! And don’t forget the blackberry topping.
Maple Gingerbread Pancakes
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 15-25 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 (makes 12 pancakes) 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
Easy maple ginger homemade pancakes served with blackberries.
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Maple syrup and blackberries, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, flax seed, cinnamon, ginger, cloves or allspice, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- To the bowl, add the milk, maple syrup or molasses, eggs, ginger and vanilla extract and whisk until combined (small lumps are okay).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Working in batches, coat the pan with cooking spray and use a ¼ cup measuring cup to spoon pancakes into the skillet, leaving a space of about 1-inch between them. Once the pancakes start to bubble, flip and cook another minute or two, until set.
- Serve pancakes with maple syrup and blackberries.
Substitution Tip: Use whole wheat, all-purpose or gluten free all-purpose flour (or a combination).
- Serving Size: 3 pancakes
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 322mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
Keywords: breakfast, pancakes, holiday