Most of us are looking for fun ways to serve veggies to the kiddos (and even the adults!), so look no further than these broccoli tots! The base of these veggie-loaded bite-sized snacks is… broccoli and they’re enhanced with garlic and onion powders and cheddar cheese to make for a real savory treat.
Not only are the baked instead of fried (you could also make them in the air fryer, if you have one!), but you can easily swap out the broccoli for another veggie. Or, mix two or three steamed and riced veggies together! Here are some ideas:
- Sweet or white potato
- Zucchini or summer squash (wring out the water first)
I am a huge fan of mixing sweet potato and cauliflower together, but cheddar broccoli or zucchini is another classic! You can use frozen cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and zucchini or summer squash, but when using potato, I’d recommend microwaving or steaming them a bit first.
For dipping sauce, you can use just about anything – ketchup, BBQ sauce or a little Sriracha mixed with Greek yogurt. Whatever floats your tater tot boat!Print
Homemade tots with broccoli and cheddar cheese.
- 10.8-ounce bag frozen broccoli cuts
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Steam the broccoli according to package directions. Let slightly cool. Transfer broccoli to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until riced. Transfer riced broccoli to a large kitchen towel and squeeze to drain the water into the sink. Place the riced broccoli in a medium bowl (makes 1 cup riced broccoli).
- Add the eggs, cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper and stir until well combined.’
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the mixture into piles on the parchment paper. Shape each into a tater tot shape with your hands. Space them at least 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake 15-18 minutes or until tots are firm and golden brown. Allow to slightly cook, then serve.
Cooking Tip: You can also use frozen riced broccoli. Steam according to package directions, then transfer to a large kitchen towel and squeeze to drain the water into the sink. Place the riced broccoli in a medium bowl (should be 1 cup) and continue on with step 3.
- Serving Size: 3 tots
- Calories: 89
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 184mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
Keywords: tots, broccoli, vegetable, cheddar, cheese, snack, snacks