Brussels Sprouts Cranberry Salad
Can I interest you in a festive salad that goes perfectly with any holiday meal but is easy enough to make on a weeknight? I thought so!
This Brussels sprouts cranberry salad is filled with nutritious ingredients like apples, pomegranates, walnuts and dried cranberries with an easy vinaigrette dressing you can make at home (and use for any salad!).
Here is how to make it:
- Chop the ends off the Brussels sprouts, then shred them using a Chef’s knife or send them through a food processor. Another option is grabbing a bag of pre-shredded Brussels sprouts at the grocery store. Whatever works best for you!
- Dice the apple with the skins on. This saves you a step (no peeling!) and the skins provide additional fiber.
- Toast the walnuts. This is a 60 second step that makes a world of difference! Simply heat a dry skillet to medium-high heat, add the chopped walnuts and occasionally toss them in the hot skillet while they toast. Be careful not to let them burn, though, as this can happen pretty quickly if you step away from the pan! Toasting adds a richer walnut flavor and takes the ‘raw’ flavor out.
- Whisk up the dressing, which is made of apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil, salt and black pepper. You can make up an extra batch to use in other salads throughout the week! It keeps well in a jar in the refrigerator for about 7 days.
- Fold all of the ingredients together and enjoy! I like to stick it in the fridge for a half an hour or more to let the flavors meld.
If you’re planning to add this to your holiday menu, you can make the dressing in advance, shred the Brussels sprouts and toast the walnuts, then about an hour before serving, chop the apple, mix everything together and refrigerate! It’ll be ready to pull out and add to the table when it’s time to eat.Print
Brussels Sprouts Cranberry Salad
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 10-15 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
A simple raw salad with Brussels sprouts, apples, dried cranberries, pomegranates and walnuts.
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1-pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 1 medium honey crisp apple, cored and diced
- ½ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, Dijon, salt and black pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified.
- Heat a small skillet to medium heat. Add the walnuts and toast for about 60 seconds or until fragrant, tossing frequently. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, apple, dried cranberries and walnuts to the bowl with the dressing and toss to coat. Top with the pomegranate arils and feta. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Preparation Tip: To shred Brussels sprouts quickly, send them through a food processor fitted with the shredding attachment.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 130mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
Keywords: holiday, salad, Brussels sprouts, side dish