It’s likely we all have a favorite chili recipe that is our go-to on weeknights, weekends and for game day. But once in awhile it’s fun to change things up and put a unique spin on a classic recipe. Enter: Butternut Squash & Black Bean Chili.
Butternut squash is everywhere this time of year, and chili is one way to feature it. It’s a good source of vitamin A, fiber and potassium, and is versatile in the kitchen. In this chili, squash is simmered with black beans, chipotle chilies, fire-roasted tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, lime juice and loads of spices. It’s a hearty plant-based meal that I’m certain you’ll love.
Here are a few other delicious ways to enjoy squash this season:
- Roasted with oil, herbs and spices
- Pureed into a creamy soup with coconut milk
- Cubed and sauteed with greens and topped with an over-easy eggs
- Cooked into a savory risotto
- Spiraled into noodles and sauteed with garlic, greens and Parmesan cheese
- Cut hasselback style, rubbed with oil and roasted
- Mashed and drizzled with olive oil and honey
Now tell me… how do you prepare butternut squash?Print
A smoky vegetarian chili with butternut squash and black beans.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 ¼ tsp. kosher or sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 2 15-oz. cans no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can no salt added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- Heat the olive oil to medium in a Dutch oven or large stock pot. Add the onion and red bell pepper and cook 3-4 minutes, until slightly soft. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper and chipotle chili and sauté 30-60 seconds, until garlic and spices are fragrant.
- Stir in the butternut squash, black beans, tomatoes and stock. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce to medium-low and cook 15-20 minutes or until squash is soft. Stir in lime zest and juice. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Spoon chili into bowls and top with diced avocado. Serve.
Cooking Tip: Adding a splash of citrus juice or vinegar at the end of a recipe can help provide a salty taste without adding excessive salt.
Serving Tip: This is a complete meal!
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 480mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 15g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chili, soup, butternut squash, squash, black beans, beans, plant-based, vegetarian, vegan