An easy, cheesy cauliflower gratin that’s lighter than the classic.
- 1 medium (3 pound) head of cauliflower, cleaned and cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2–3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere and/or cheddar cheese
- Splash fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-inch pie or baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the cauliflower florets for 4-5 minutes or until barely fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Whisk in the flour and let simmer 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened, whisking frequently. Whisk in the salt, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Remove from the heat and whisk in the Gruyere and lemon juice.
- Pour half of the sauce into the prepared baking dish. Transfer the steamed cauliflower to the dish, then pour the remaining sauce evenly over the top of the cauliflower.
- In a small glass dish, microwave the remaining tablespoon of butter for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the cauliflower.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese sauce is bubbly. Turn the oven to a broil and cook 2-3 additional minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Let slightly cool, then serve topped with parsley (if using).
Cooking Tip: After draining, place the steamed cauliflower in a kitchen towel to dry. This will help the gratin from becoming watery.
Substitution Tip: Try this recipe with broccoli.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 249mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: cauliflower, gratin, cauliflower gratin, side dish, holiday, potluck