With back-to-school time right around the corner, I’ll be sharing some of my most simple and delicious recipes that are perfect for busy weeknights and mornings, or that can easily go in lunch bags to take to work or school.
The first in the series is this Chicken & Green Bean Stir Fry that includes a homemade make-ahead stir fry sauce. The entire thing comes together in 30 minutes or less and is super tasty.
The sauce contains low sodium soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, Sriracha (if you like a little heat), sesame oil, ginger, garlic and stock. I use a bit of cornstarch to thicken it up so it coats the meat and veggies. In this stir fry version, I use chicken and green beans (yay to fresh garden beans!) but if you have another protein (beef, tofu, pork) and veggie (broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms, bok choy) you’d like to use – swap them in! That’s one of the things I love so much about stir fries – you can totally make it your own.
I love serving it over brown rice, but it’s also fabulous on a bed of quinoa. Either way, the extra stir fry sauce soaks into the grains and makes the entire dish extra scrumptious.
Now, tell me in the comments all about your favorite meal that is perfect for a busy weeknight!Print
A simple stir fry with chicken, green beans and homemade stir fry sauce.
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. honey or brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- ½ Tbsp. Sriracha
- ½ Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup unsalted chicken, beef or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. kosher or sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey or brown sugar, vinegar, Sriracha, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk together the cornstarch and stock until dissolved. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into soy sauce mixture until combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil to medium-high. Add the sliced chicken and season with half of the salt and black pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Once lightly browned, turn each piece using tongs and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until chicken is firm. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Add the green beans to the skillet, add ¼ cup water and place a lid on the top. Cook 3-4 minutes, then remove the lid and cook until the water completely evaporates. Season with the remaining salt and black pepper. Add the chicken back in, then add the sauce to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened.
- Serve stir fry over cooked rice or quinoa.
Cooking Tip: The stir fry sauce can be made in advance and store, sealed, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Substitution Tip: Try broccoli instead of green beans.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 587mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
Keywords: stir fry, green beans, chicken, weeknight, skillet, dinner