I simply love when crafting a delicious meal requires only a few ingredients, most of which I have in my fridge and pantry.
Chicken Marsala, even though it may seem a bit fancy, is one of those meals. We just need chicken, mushrooms, shallots or onion, sweet Marsala wine, stock or broth, butter, parsley, and of course, flour, oil, salt and black pepper.
The chicken breasts are lightly coated in seasoned flour and sauteed until browned and crisp on both sides, then set aside. In the same pot (also LOVE that this is a one-pot meal), the shallots and mushrooms are caramelized, then finished with the Marsala wine, stock and butter, and served over the juicy chicken with a garnish of fresh parsley.
It’s simple, elegant and filled with flavor, and I’m pretty sure you’re going to love it.Print
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
- Total Time: 25-35 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
Seared chicken breast served with mushroom Marsala pan sauce.
- 4 (4-6 oz.) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ tsp. kosher or sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup sweet Marsala wine
- ½ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves, chopped, divided
- Place chicken breasts on a cutting board and cover with a layer of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet to flatten chicken breasts to ¼ inch. Remove the plastic and season both sides with a third of the salt and black pepper.
- Place flour and a third of the salt and black pepper in a shallow dish and stir to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet to medium-high heat. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, shake off excess flour and place in the hot oil, working in batches if needed. Cook 2-3 minutes or until browned and crispy, then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until chicken is firm. Using tongs, remove chicken from the pan and set aside. Keep warm next to the stove, if possible.
- Add the shallots and mushrooms to the pan and cook 4-5 minutes or until browned. Season with the remaining salt and black pepper. Add the Marsala wine and cook about 30 seconds or until very bubbly. Add the stock and bring to a simmer and cook 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in the butter and half of the parsley. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve Marsala mushrooms and sauce over the chicken cutlets and garnish with the remaining chopped parsley.
Cooking Tip: If available, purchase chicken breast cutlets that are thinly sliced so you can skip step number 1.
Variation/Substitution Tips: If you don’t have a shallot, try using ¼ of a thinly sliced sweet onion instead.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 381
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 472mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 26mg
- Cholesterol: 70mg