I am SO ready to celebrate winter’s fruit bounty. And I’m speaking specifically about citrus fruit and pomegranate. Oranges and grapefruit can be purchased year-round, but blood oranges and pomegranates are only in season in the winter, and they super juicy and ripe – and SO delicious. I just HAD to put them on a green salad where they can really shine (let me tell you – they’re lucky they even made it to the salad!).
And I decided to top the salad with toasted walnuts and feta (or goat) cheese for a bit of a nutty flavor, crunch and tang. It’s the ultimate mash-up of salty and sweet – in salad form.
The dressing is fresh pomegranate juice with red wine vinegar, Dijon and olive oil. It’s so easy and quick to make and is basically the icing on top of the cake (P.S. it’s better than cake). Plus, if you want to make a meal out of it, throw on a cooked filet of salmon or chicken breast and voila! Dinner is served.
And don’t forget to check out both of the videos above! I demonstrate how to segment the oranges and grapefruit and seed a pomegranate. It’s that simple!
Now, let’s dig in and celebrate winter’s bounty!Print
A simple winter salad with navel and blood oranges, grapefruit, pomegranates, walnuts and feta cheese.
- 6–8 cups spring or mixed greens
- 2 medium blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- ⅓ cup toasted walnuts
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Arrange greens in 6 bowls. Distribute the orange and grapefruit segments, pomegranate arils, walnuts and cheese among the bowls.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing. Drizzle on the salads. Refrigerate any remaining salad dressing in an airtight container. Serve immediately.
Cooking Tip: Serve with cooked salmon or chicken breast to make it a meal.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 236mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 7mg