What better way to celebrate spring than with a big bowl of creamy asparagus soup?
And what I love about this soup is it’s a much lighter take on the typical creamy asparagus soup, but it’s still full of asparagus flavor, still has a fabulous creamy texture and is basically springtime in a bowl!
Here’s how to make it…
How to make creamy asparagus soup
- Before you start cooking, prep all of your ingredients. This includes peeling and dicing an onion, trimming and slicing asparagus spears, mincing garlic and measuring out the rest of your ingredients (or at least getting them ready).
- The first step is to heat a little oil in a Dutch oven or your favorite soup pot. I like to use olive oil or avocado oil for this recipe. Then, add a diced onion and asparagus and saute on medium-low until soft.
- Then, you’ll add the garlic and saute until fragrant – this only takes about 30-60 seconds (don’t let it burn!).
- Mix in the spices, which includes salt, black pepper, mustard powder, celery salt and a little cayenne. These extra spices will provide a beautiful flavor to your broth (in addition to the onion, garlic and asparagus, of course).
- Then, add your stock and let it simmer until the asparagus is very soft. You can use vegetable stock to make this a vegetarian soup, or you can use chicken stock if that’s what you have on hand.
- Now, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until very smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can transfer the mixture to a blender and puree it there. Just be very careful, as hot soup in a blender can make the lid pop off! I recommend holding a kitchen towel over the hole in the lid (remove the plastic piece) to allow a little steam to escape. Plus, start the blender on the lowest setting and work your way up.
- Then, add the 2 tablespoons of half and half (there’s the cream part!). You can leave this out if you want, but it’s delicious.
- Taste your soup and adjust the seasoning if you need to. Then serve it in bowls with Parmesan on top! Yum!
What is your favorite dish to make with asparagus?Print
A simple asparagus soup with onion, garlic and a touch of cream.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 2–3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 ½ cups unsalted vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- ¼ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil to medium-low in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the onion and asparagus and sauté 5-6 minutes or until slightly soft. Stir in the garlic, salt, black pepper, mustard powder, celery salt and cayenne pepper and sauté 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the stock and simmer 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the half and half. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Scoop asparagus soup into bowls and top with shaved Parmesan cheese.
Cooking Tip: If you want a thinner soup, add more stock.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 128
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 366mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
Keywords: soup, asparagus, side dish, spring