A simple asparagus soup with onion, garlic and a touch of cream.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 2–3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 ½ cups unsalted vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- ¼ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil to medium-low in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the onion and asparagus and sauté 5-6 minutes or until slightly soft. Stir in the garlic, salt, black pepper, mustard powder, celery salt and cayenne pepper and sauté 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the stock and simmer 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the half and half. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Scoop asparagus soup into bowls and top with shaved Parmesan cheese.
Cooking Tip: If you want a thinner soup, add more stock.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 128
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 366mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
Keywords: soup, asparagus, side dish, spring