This curry chickpea salad is packed with flavor from the curry powder, lime juice, yogurt and cilantro. And when folded with crispy and spicy veggies and tucked into bright green lettuce cups, it’s healthy meal prep at it’s finest!
While it’s absolutely delicious as-is, there are several ways to change things up and make it your own. Read on…
Recipe Substitution Options
- Instead of mayonnaise, try another 2 tablespoons of yogurt or vegan mayonnaise.
- Use fresh lemon instead of lime.
- Try granulated sugar instead of honey (the sweetener is there to help balance the tangy dressing).
- If you don’t like curry, skip the curry powder and add a tab of Dijon mustard.
- For a meaty version, use cubed or shredded cooked chicken instead of chickpeas (or a mix of both).
- If you don’t like it spicy, leave out the jalapeno or use less. Alternatively, if you like it spicy, use more jalapeno.
- Leave out the cilantro if you’re not a fan.
- Toast the cashews before adding them to the salad for more crunch.
No matter how you throw the salad together, it’ll be an easy way to meal prep and will be totally delicious!
Chickpea salad with creamy curry lime sauce stuffed in crisp lettuce cups.
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt (Greek or regular)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- ½ medium jalapeno, seeded and minced
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, divided
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped, divided
- 2 heads Bibb or Boston lettuce
- ¼ cup roasted cashews, chopped
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- To the bowl, add the chickpeas, celery, jalapeno, raisins, half of the scallions and half of the cilantro. Fold to combine. Optional: refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Spoon chickpea salad into the lettuce cups and top with the remaining scallions, cilantro and roasted cashews. Serve.
Cooking Tip: For a meaty version, try with diced or shredded cooked chicken.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 179mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Keywords: chickpeas, garbanzo beans, vegetarian, curry