Talk about a quick, easy, high-protein meal!
Tuna cakes have similar flavor and texture to crab cakes, but they’re made with albacore tuna, making them inexpensive and accessible, yet still totally scrumptious.
These cakes also feature zippy Dijon, fresh lemon and dill, dried oregano and just a hint of spice from crushed red pepper flakes. The mixture comes together in just minutes, then the cakes are seared in olive oil until crispy, and served with dollops of Greek yogurt.
I think they pair nicely with a green salad, roasted vegetables or soup, and they even reheat well the next day, so make an extra batch for weekday lunches.
Simple seared tuna cakes with dill, Dijon and lemon, served with dollops of Greek yogurt.
- 2 (4 oz.) cans albacore tuna, drained
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Zest and juice of ½ medium lemon
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped + more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp. kosher or sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- In a mixing bowl, combine tuna, eggs, Panko, lemon zest and juice, green onion, dill, Dijon, oregano, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Use the back of a fork or a potato masher to create a chunky paste. Form the mixture into 6 small equal-sized patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick or cast-iron skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add the cakes and cook 3 minutes per side, until cakes are firm.
- Serve tuna cakes with dollops of Greek yogurt.
Cooking Tip: To bake the cakes rather than sauté, place them on a greased baking sheet and cook in a 375-degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until set.
Variation/Substitution Tips: 1) To make the cakes gluten-free, substitute Panko breadcrumbs for gluten-free Panko breadcrumbs. 2) Try canned salmon or lump crab instead of tuna. 3) If using fresh tuna, salmon or crab, pulse the flesh in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Serving Size: 1 cake
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 215mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 62mg