Chimichurri is a Argentinian condiment made with fresh herbs, such as cilantro and parsley, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, olive oil and red pepper flakes.
It has a similar texture to pesto and goes perfectly on grilled meats or fish and vegetables, or can be used for dipping or marinading.
Chimichurri can be made in the food processor. Simply add all of the ingredients and pulse until all of the ingredients come together in a deliciously fragrant paste.
In this recipe, we’re using chimichurri as a condiment for kebabs. The kebabs are made with cubes of lean pork tenderloin or chops, bell pepper and red onion. Brush the chimichurri on the kebabs once they’re cooked and serve a small bowl of it for dipping as well. Yum!Print
Grilled pork, bell pepper and red onion kebabs with homemade chimichurri sauce.
- 1 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 small serrano pepper, stemmed and seeded
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Grilled Pork Kebabs:
- 1 ½ pounds boneless pork chops or pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place 6 long wooden skewers in a dish filled with water. Let soak while you prepare the chimichurri and pork.
- Place all chimichurri ingredients into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until a pesto-like paste forms, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Divide the chimichurri into two bowls.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Thread the pork cubes onto the soaked wooden skewers, alternating pieces of red onion and bell pepper. Brush each kebab with the olive oil. Grill 2-3 minutes per side, brushing with half of the chimichurri each time you turn the kebab. Use an instant-read thermometer to temp the pork to be sure it reaches 145 degrees and is firm to the touch.
- Serve the kebabs with the remaining chimichurri for dipping.
Cooking Tip: Use a lean meat like pork tenderloin or pork chops.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 216mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
Keywords: grilling, grilled, grill, pork, kebabs, chimichurri, global food