Crispy tofu is cooked with a soy and oyster sauce with mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and lots of chilies. This one is SPICY!
- 3 tablespoons water or unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Zest and juice of ½ medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1-pound extra firm tofu
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8-ounces fresh shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 medium Thai chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 medium serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Line a plate with a kitchen towel or paper towel. Place the tofu block on the plate and top with an additional kitchen towel or paper towel. Place a heavy pot or skillet on top and let sit at least 10 minutes. Once dry, slice into cubes. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat. Add the cubed tofu and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until lightly browned and crisp. Remove the crispy tofu from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the skillet heat to medium and add the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, Thai chilies and serrano pepper. Sauté 4-5 minutes or until slightly soft. Stir in the garlic and sauté 30-60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the tofu back into the pan and pour in the sauce. Bring to a simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise.
- Serve the tofu Sisig over the cooked brown rice.
- If you don’t want this dish to be less spicy, or not spicy at all, reduce or omit the Thai chilies and serrano pepper.
- If you want it to be spicy but can’t find Thai chilies and/or a serrano pepper, try it with jalapeno.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 489mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: wok, stir fry, tofu, vegetarian, global