I love a fluffy stack of pancakes for breakfast.
But what I don’t love is the feeling of overloading on simple carbohydrates, so I developed a fabulous pancake recipe with whole grain flour, old-fashioned oats, Greek yogurt and berries, making it higher fiber AND higher protein.
But what I didn’t sacrifice is the taste and fluffiness we all know and love about traditional pancakes. The yogurt not only adds protein, but it gives the pancakes a fluffy and spongy texture; the cinnamon and vanilla (I always add extra) provides a ton of flavor; and the oats give the pancakes a heartiness that is super satisfying.
I also love the endless topping options for these pancakes – nuts, nut butters, berries and real maple syrup, to name a few.
And if you’re interested in a lower carb, higher fat pancake recipe, try using a mix of almond and coconut flours instead of whole wheat flour and oats!Print
Berry-laced whole grain pancakes with oats, Greek yogurt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries
- Berries and chopped nuts, for serving
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk in the milk, Greek yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Fold in berries.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium. Coat with cooking spray. Scoop two or three ¼ cup scoops of pancake batter into the hot skillet and cook 1-2 minutes per side, until lightly browned and the pancake is set.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Serve pancakes immediately with berries, nuts and maple syrup.
Substitution Tip: Use any yogurt or milk in this recipe (i.e. soy, almond, coconut, cow’s)
- Serving Size: Serves 4 (3 pancakes)
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 475mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
Keywords: pancake, pancakes, greek yogurt, breakfast, brunch, berries, berry