Made from scratch green bean casserole, just in time for the holidays!
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rings or strips
Green Bean Casserole:
- 1-pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsalted vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Set up 3 bowls: One with flour, one with egg and milk and one with breadcrumbs. Evenly distribute the salt and black pepper into each bowl and whisk to combine. Using tongs, dip the onion rings into the flour, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs and line them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are crispy and browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook 3-4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add the mushrooms and sauté 6-8 minutes or until browned and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic, salt, onion powder, black pepper and thyme (if using). Stir in the flour and bring to a simmer. Slowly whisk in the stock and evaporated milk and bring to a simmer 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add the green beans and stir to combine.
- Coat an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the green bean mixture to the prepared baking dish, then line the top with the fried onions. Bake 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Let slightly cool, then serve.
Cooking Tip: To save time, swap in frozen green beans instead of fresh. Simply steam according to package directions and skip step #4 in the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 162
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 276mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
Keywords: green bean casserole, casserole, green bean, green beans, holiday, holidays, Thanksgiving, side dish