Many of us are putting together menus for a special holiday meal this time of year!
I don’t know about you, but I love side dishes just as much – if not better than – the main! That’s why I develop several new side dish recipes each year. This year the first recipe in my side dish lineup is Green Beans Almondine!
It involves sauteed green beans in garlic and toasted almonds with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. It’s super easy to whip up, has minimal ingredients and is a nutritious, well-balanced dish. It goes well with roasted turkey, mashed sweet potatoes and your favorite holiday dessert!
Now tell me – what are your favorite holiday side dishes?Print
Sauteed green beans with toasted almonds, lemon zest and garlic.
- 1-pound green beans, trimmed
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot or ¼ medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add the almonds and toast 30-60 seconds, shaking the skillet as they toast. Remove the almonds and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pan. Once it’s hot, add the shallot or onion and garlic and sauté 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Add the green beans and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon zest, salt and black pepper. Stir in the toasted almonds.
- Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 152mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: thanksgiving, holiday, side dish, sides