Lemon Pepper Cod
February is Heart Month and we are celebrating with a nutritious, protein-packed recipe!
We’re making sauteed lemon pepper cod, which is just a few simple ingredients – cod, lemon, black pepper, olive oil and salt!
Serve it up with a green salad or Green Beans Almondine and Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges to make it a meal.
Some recipe tips:
- You can use any white fish. Tilapia, pollock, haddock, halibut, grouper, etc. Any fish will work!
- If using frozen fish, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator or, in a pinch, leave the filets wrapped in plastic and gently run cold water over it until thawed.
- Dry the fish off before adding it to the hot oil. If the fish has excess water, the oil will splatter and create a mess, not to mention can be dangerous! Press each filet with paper towel to be sure all excess moisture is removed.
- Make sure the pan and oil are hot before adding the filets to it. This will help create a nice browned crust on the exterior.
- To test for doneness, lightly press the fish with the back of a fork. If it starts to flake, it’s done. If it bounces back, it’s not quite done. Fish only takes a few minutes to cook!
Lemon Pepper Cod
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5-10 mins
- Total Time: 10-15 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
An easy 3-ingredient recipe for sauteed lemon pepper cod.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-pound cod filets, skin-on or skins removed
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ medium lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat the olive oil to medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet.
- Pat the cod filets dry with paper towel. Add the filets to the hot oil and season with half of the salt and black pepper. Cook until the filets are lightly browned on the bottom edges, about 2 minutes.
- Flip the filets using a spatula and season the other side with the remaining salt and black pepper. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until the filets start to flake apart.
- Transfer the cod filets to a plate and squeeze with fresh lemon juice. Serve immediately.
Make it a Meal: Serve with Green Beans Almondine and Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges.
- Serving Size: 3-4 ounce filet
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 187mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 21g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
Keywords: fish, seafood, cod, heart health