Easy weeknight beef stroganoff made a little lighter.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1-pound lean ground beef
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, stemmed and chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces whole wheat egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- ¼ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped, divided
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium. Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté 4-5 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add the ground beef and cook 6-7 minutes or until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Stir in the garlic, thyme, salt and black pepper. Stir in the flour.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the red wine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until the wine has almost completely dissolved. Add the beef stock, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire and bring to a low boil. Add the egg noodles, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are cooked.
- Stir in the sour cream and half of the parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve in bowls with remaining parsley on top.
Cooking Tip: Add a few handfuls of baby spinach when sauteing the mushrooms to boost the nutrition or serve with a green salad.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 382
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 508mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
Keywords: beef, beef stroganoff, stroganoff, one pot, dinner