Mango Green Smoothie
It’s unofficially summer and sometimes when it’s hot outside, you just want something cold and refreshing for breakfast.
That’s where this Mango Green Smoothie comes in! It has all of the makings of a balanced breakfast swirled into a cool, rich on-the-go beverage that is anything but boring. It’s made with mango, banana, spinach or kale, flax, Greek yogurt, milk and just a touch of sweetener – and can easily be customized to your liking (yay!).
The thing is – smoothie making can actually be kind of intimidating. How much fruit should you put in? How much liquid? Do I need to add sweetener? What can I add to get more nutrition out of my smoothie?
And the truth it, it’s really up to you. Some people enjoy a thicker smoothie, so in that case, you’d want to add more fruit and less liquid (granted your blender can handle that). Others enjoy a thin smoothie so they add more liquid. Some enjoy a sweeter smoothie, so they’ll add a pinch of stevia or some honey, maple syrup or another type of sweetener, while others say the fruit makes it sweet enough. If you add dates, the smoothie gets thicker AND sweeter!
As far as mix-ins go, the possibilities are endless. I’m a big fan of mixing together different types of frozen fruit, then adding other ingredients that compliment the fruit, and I almost always add a handful of spinach or kale. Sometimes I even add other vegetables like carrots for a boost of nutrition.
You can also add in flax, chia or walnuts for some omega 3’s and fiber, or other nuts like almonds for a little monounsaturated fat. Spices like turmeric and ginger make for a unique smoothie and they’re considered anti-inflammatory. Some enjoy adding coffee, cocoa powder or nut butters to their smoothies, and others like to add a scoop of protein powder. Like I said – the possibilities are truly endless!
Now, tell me – what do you like in your smoothie?Print
Mango Green Smoothie
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Smoothies
- Method: No-Cook
A simple smoothie with mango, banana, greens and flax.
- 2 cups frozen diced mango
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 2 cups fresh spinach or chopped kale
- 1 ½–2 cups milk
- ½ cup vanilla or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1 tsp. stevia or 1 Tbsp. honey
- Place all smoothie ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- For easy smoothie making, peel and slice bananas and place in a sealable Ziploc bags or small airtight containers. Store in the freezer up to two months.
- Add less milk if you like a thicker smoothie and add more milk if you like a thinner smoothie.
- Use any dark leafy green in this recipe.
- Use any milk, such as cow’s, almond, soy, coconut or rice. I like the vanilla variety for smoothies.
- Use any sweetener of choice, or no sweetener at all – it’s up to you!
- Try frozen pineapple or berries instead of mango.
- Add a scoop of unflavored or vanilla protein powder, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/3 of recipe
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 139mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: smoothie, smoothies, mango, green, greens, breakfast, snack