A luxurious (but surprisingly easy to make) vegetarian dish with a pound of mushrooms, Parmesan, red wine and fresh thyme.
- 6–8 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot peeled and minced
- 1-pound mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ⅓ cup dry red wine
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and/or zest of 1 medium lemon
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped, divided
- Heat the stock in a large stock pot over low heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or braising pan to medium-low heat. Add the shallots and mushrooms and sauté 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized. Stir in the garlic, thyme and arborio rice and sauté 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the red wine, bringing to a simmer. Stir until the wine is evaporated.
- Keeping the risotto simmering on medium-high, add one ladle of hot stock at a time, stirring until the liquid has dissolved, until the rice is al dente and the risotto is creamy (this process takes 40-45 minutes). Season with salt and black pepper throughout the process.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and/or lemon zest, half of the Parmesan cheese and half of the parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Scoop risotto into bowls and top with remaining Parmesan and parsley.
Cooking Tip: Heating the stock helps reduce the total risotto cooking time, so don’t skip this step!
Substitution Tip: Omit the Parmesan for a vegan dish.
Meal Idea: Serve half a portion of mushroom risotto with a seared chicken breast and a cup of roasted or sauteed veggies.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 468mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
Keywords: mushrooms, mushrooms, risotto, rice, vegetarian