One Pot Lemon Chicken & Rice
Sometimes I find it mind-boggling that just a few simple ingredients can make such a dynamite meal.
But then I remember that when you take fresh ingredients, like lemons, spinach, chicken and herbs, and pair them with the flavors of olive oil, dried oregano (one of my very favorite herbs) and stock (which adds immense flavor to dishes), the food just tastes amazing.
Not one of the ingredients I just mentioned overpowers the other, they just work together in perfect Greek-inspired harmony.
And while I like cooking this dish on the stove-top best, because I can get the chicken browned and crispy on the outside, I also enjoy the option of making it in the slow cooker. Some days the slow cooker is just my best friend, you know?Print
One Pot Lemon Chicken & Rice
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50-55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr – 1 hr 5 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top or Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American, Greek
A simple one-pot dish bursting with flavors of lemon and oregano, with instructions to make it on the stove or in a slow cooker.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 ¼ cups unsalted chicken stock
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- ¼ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
To make on the stove top:
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, bring olive oil to medium heat. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Place them in the hot skillet and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until a golden brown crust forms. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, spinach and garlic to the pan and sauté 2-3 minutes or until the onion is tender and the spinach is wilted. Stir in the rice and oregano and season with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Add the stock and lemon zest and juice and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken back to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and place the lid on the pot. Cook 40-45 minutes or until the liquid is dissolved and the rice is cooked. Garnish with chopped parsley.
To make in the slow cooker:
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, stir together the rice, onion, spinach, garlic, stock, lemon zest and juice, salt, black pepper and oregano. Submerge the chicken into the liquid. Cook on low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Cooking Tip: For a crispy browned exterior, even when cooking in the slow cooker, brown the chicken in a hot oiled pan before adding it to the slow cooker.
Variation/Substitution Tips: For a boost of veggies, add chopped red bell pepper and bite-sized pieces of broccoli to the onion and spinach mixture when cooking.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 556mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
Keywords: chicken, one pot, dinner, lemon, rice