A simple one-pot dish bursting with flavors of lemon and oregano, with instructions to make it on the stove or in a slow cooker.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 ¼ cups unsalted chicken stock
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- ¼ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
To make on the stove top:
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, bring olive oil to medium heat. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Place them in the hot skillet and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until a golden brown crust forms. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, spinach and garlic to the pan and sauté 2-3 minutes or until the onion is tender and the spinach is wilted. Stir in the rice and oregano and season with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Add the stock and lemon zest and juice and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken back to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and place the lid on the pot. Cook 40-45 minutes or until the liquid is dissolved and the rice is cooked. Garnish with chopped parsley.
To make in the slow cooker:
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, stir together the rice, onion, spinach, garlic, stock, lemon zest and juice, salt, black pepper and oregano. Submerge the chicken into the liquid. Cook on low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Cooking Tip: For a crispy browned exterior, even when cooking in the slow cooker, brown the chicken in a hot oiled pan before adding it to the slow cooker.
Variation/Substitution Tips: For a boost of veggies, add chopped red bell pepper and bite-sized pieces of broccoli to the onion and spinach mixture when cooking.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 556mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
Keywords: chicken, one pot, dinner, lemon, rice