Pasta e Fagioli
Are you a fan of soup in the summertime?
I know it’s not technically summer yet, but things are heating up and I’m so glad about it. We had a long winter and this turn in the weather is much needed and deserved!
But the change in temperature doesn’t affect my craving for a big bowl of soup! There’s just something about the process of making a pot of soup and the wholesome feeling I get when I curl up with a bowl and slurp up every last bit.
This particular soup, Pasta e Fagioli, is an Italian classic with a few extra veggies. Not only do I thoroughly enjoy the herby flavors of basil, oregano, thyme and fresh parsley, but I love the heartiness of the beans and pasta, and that we can throw in any veggies we have laying around or that are freshly picked from the garden.
So who’s with me on the whole soup all year thing?Print
Pasta e Fagioli
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Italian
A classic Italian soup with a few twists.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 oz.) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole grain macaroni
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot to medium. Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté 5-6 minutes or until slightly soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes, beans and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the macaroni and zucchini and cook 8-10 minutes or until macaroni and zucchini are al dente. Stir in lemon juice and chopped parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Cooking Tip: Add the zucchini at the end of the cooking process to avoid overcooking it.
- Substitution Tip: Add cooked Italian turkey or chicken sausage, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 444mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: soup, stew, minestrone, pasta fagioli, plant-based, vegetarian, vegan