It’s a new year, but my love for hummus hasn’t faltered. I’ve been making this recipe for years now, and it never disappoints (if I decide to share).
The best part – besides eating it – is the fact that all ingredients are tossed together in a food processor and blended until smooth and creamy. I use 2 lemons because I love the extra brightness it provides, but you can customize the recipe as you like it (hint: adding more garlic is never a bad thing). You can eat it as-is, but there are also endless topping options, such as roasted red peppers, olives, roasted garlic and pine nuts.
I also love that it’s packed with plant-based protein and fiber, meaning it keeps me full and satisfied until lunch or dinner. And it never hurts to use veggies as the dippers for even more nutrition. Plus, I can make a batch on Sunday and a nutritious snack is ready for me every single day of the week! This hummus is simply snack heaven!Print
Easy homemade hummus with roasted red peppers.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup chopped roasted red peppers, divided
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Zest and juice of 1-2 medium lemons
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pita chips and raw vegetables, for serving
- In a food processor, combine the garbanzo beans, ½ cup chopped roasted red peppers, tahini, garlic, lemon zest and juice, salt and black pepper. Place the lid on the food processor and slowly drizzle in the olive oil as it purees on low speed, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary, until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with remaining ¼ cup roasted red peppers. Serve with pita chips and vegetables.
Substitution Tip: Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing; use them interchangeably.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 60mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: hummus, roasted red peppers, snack, plant-based, vegan