It’s soup season!
I mean, I eat soup year-round, but I get excited when the weather turns slightly cooler and curling up with a bowl of soup is a normal weekend activity.
Which is why I’m coming to you with one of my favorite tomato soup recipes. It starts with tomatoes that are roasted with olive oil, balsamic and garlic until lightly caramelized. Then, they’re sauteed with onion, herbs, spices and tomato paste (for more tomato richness) and pureed with vegetable stock until super smooth… and finished with a swirl of cream and a touch of sugar to balance it all out.
It’s so scrumptious and delightful, and definitely worthy of grilled cheese dippin’.
And if you’re interested in the crock pot version of this tomato soup, check out my notes below!Print
Simple roasted tomato soup with balsamic, basil and a touch of cream.
- 3 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. coarse salt, divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups unsalted vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the tomatoes, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper on a baking sheet. Roast 12-15 minutes or until tomatoes have burst.
- Heat remaining ½ tablespoon olive oil in a stock pot to medium-low heat. Add onion and saute 5-7 minutes, until soft. Stir in dried basil, oregnao, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and tomato paste. Stir in roasted tomatoes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil. Use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth.
- For a smoother soup: Send portions of soup through a fine mesh strainer, into a bowl, using a spatula to assist. Pour soup back into the pot.
- Stir in cream and sugar. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- To make tomato soup in the crock pot: Place the tomatoes, garlic, balsamic, salt, black pepper, onion, dried basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, tomato paste and vegetable stock in a slow cooker. Cook 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. Add additional stock if dry. Stir in the fresh basil. Use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth. Stir in cream and sugar. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- To lower the sodium content, decrease the salt to your desired level.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 104
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 467mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Keywords: soup, soups, tomato, tomato soup, tomato, tomatoes