Tofu bowls with a sesame ginger glaze, brown rice, edamame, carrots and green onion.
- 12-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained
- ¼ cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups cooked brown, Jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 cups shredded or matchstick carrots and/or shredded purple cabbage
- 3 medium green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Line a plate with a kitchen towel or paper towel. Place the tofu block on the plate and top with an additional kitchen towel or paper towel. Place a heavy pot or skillet on top and let sit at least 10 minutes. Once dry, slice into cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the stock and cornstarch until dissolved. Whisk in the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey or maple syrup, ginger and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the tofu cubes. Cook 1-2 minutes per side or all sides are lightly browned and crisp. Pour in the sauce mixture and stir until thickened, about 30-60 seconds.
- Distribute cooked rice, edamame, carrots and/or purple cabbage and tofu into 4 bowls. Top each with green onion and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Serving Tip: Add spicy mayo, if desired. Mix together 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon Sriracha and a splash of fresh lime juice and drizzle on top of bowls.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 487
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 505mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: tofu, plant based, vegetarian, vegan