Sheet Pan Cod & Potatoes
We’ve all been there. It’s 5pm and we’re all just getting home with no plan for dinner. We want something nourishing and balanced that’s easy to make and cooks quickly. Everyone is hungry, after all.
That’s where sheet pan meals come in super handy! Here are just a few reasons why we totally love them:
- You can “set it and forget it”, meaning you put all of your ingredients on the sheet pan and let it cook. You don’t have to babysit the stove.
- It only requires one pan for cooking. All you need is a baking sheet!
- You can easily make a sheet pan meal a balanced meal with a protein, starch and vegetable.
- Roasting gives the food a delicious roasty-toasty flavor with caramelized edges. Yum!
- The entire meal comes together in less than 45 minutes.
A few additional notes to help you perfect your sheet pan meal:
- Pay attention to the protein you’re cooking with. If it’s a quick-cooking protein, like fish and seafood, you will either need to cut the starch and vegetables into smaller pieces so they’ll cook faster, and in the same amount of time as the protein. Or, you’ll need to cook the starch and veggies for bit before adding the protein to the baking sheet. Play around with cooking times for your favorite ingredient combinations to perfect the method!
- Play around with combinations of spices and herbs to flavor your sheet pan meal. In this version, I used Italian seasoning (oregano, basil and thyme), but there are endless options. Try garam masala, curry powder and turmeric, or chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika.
Also, here are a few of my favorite protein, starch and vegetable combinations:
- Chicken or turkey smoked sausage + Yukon gold potatoes + bell peppers with chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs + sweet potatoes + asparagus with Italian seasoning
- Salmon + baby red potatoes + green beans with black pepper and lemon
- Shrimp + Brussels sprouts + cauliflower with curry powder and crushed red pepper flakes
Sheet Pan Cod & Potatoes
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 35-40 mins
- Total Time: 40-50 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
An easy sheet pan dinner with cod, baby red potatoes and broccoli.
- 1 ½ pounds baby red potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (from about 1 medium head)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 ½ pounds cod filets
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange the potatoes and broccoli on the baking sheet. Coat with half of the olive oil, then sprinkle with half of the Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are slightly soft. Add the cod filets to the baking sheet and coat with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Place the baking sheet back in the oven and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cod just starts to flake.
Cooking Tip: Swap with a fatty fish like salmon, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 322
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 516mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
Keywords: fish, cod, seafood, dinner, entree, sheet pan, one pot