A simple Shepherd’s pie with a smooth sweet potato topping.
Sweet Potato Topping:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1-pound lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons no salt added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½–2 cups unsalted beef or chicken stock
- 12-ounce bag frozen peas and carrots
- Dash Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until fork tender, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and place back into the pot.
- Add the milk, olive oil and salt to the sweet potatoes and use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash or beat until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a Dutch oven or oven-safe stove-top casserole dish, heat the olive oil to medium. Add the onion and sauté 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes, breaking up the beef into pieces using a wooden spoon as it cooks. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, thyme, salt and black pepper and sauté 30-60 seconds or until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the flour. Increase the heat to medium-high and slowly whisk in the stock and bring to a simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes, adding more stock if the mixture becomes too thick. Stir in the bag of frozen peas and carrots. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce (if using).
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture on top of the filling and use a large spoon to spread the mixture into an even layer. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the filling is bubbly.
- Let slightly cool, then serve.
Substitution Tip: Swap the sweet potato for regular white potatoes or cauliflower.
Make it a Meal: Serve with a green salad with vinaigrette dressing.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 363
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 426mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
Keywords: shepherd's pie, comfort food, entree, dinner, sweet potato