Tis the season for slow cooker recipes! I have always been a big fan of tossing some fresh and wholesome ingredients in the crock pot and letting it go for a few hours for a super simple meal. I especially love when I get home and my house smells so good and the food tastes delicious without much effort.
Who else is with me?!
So, I plan to share slow cooker recipes or slow cooker versions of recipes from now until spring so we all have endless options for easy meals that taste great. Today’s special: Italian Chicken Meatballs that are swimming in tomato sauce, greens and melty cheese.
The meatballs take just a few minutes to mix and roll and they have chicken (you could also use a mix of turkey, beef and/or pork), garlic, onion, Italian herbs, Dijon (for flavor and moisture) and Parmesan. The marinara can be store-bought, or you can make your own with olive oil, onion, garlic, Italian herbs and crushed tomatoes. And I stir in leafy greens like spinach or kale for a boost of nourishment. Plus, there’s cheese.
These meatballs also make the perfect dish-to-pass for any work or family potlucks, so add them to the list for the next gathering!Print
Super easy semi-homemade slow cooker chicken meatballs.
- 2 lbs. ground chicken
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ Tbsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (24 oz.) jars tomato basil marinara
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves or chopped kale
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground chicken, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, Dijon, onion powder, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Form mixture into 2-inch balls and place in the bowl of a crock pot.
- Add the marinara and spinach or kale into the crock pot and gently stir to combine. Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours. Serve with fresh basil.
Cooking Tips: To make the meatballs in the oven, bake on a greased wire rack at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Serve with marinara. Sometimes store-bought marinara can lack flavor, so I suggest amping it up by adding fresh and/or dried herbs.
Serve with: Roasted vegetables.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 544mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 134mg
Keywords: slow cooker, crock pot, meatballs, meatball, chicken, marinara