A baked egg dish with big chunks of sourdough bread, spinach and white cheddar cheese.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium yellow or white onion, peeled and minced
- ½-pound ground turkey sausage (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 10 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk (of choice)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12-ounce loaf whole grain or sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-pound frozen spinach, thawed and thoroughly dried with a kitchen towel
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil to medium. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the turkey sausage (if using) and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Stir in the garlic and sauté 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk or yogurt, Dijon, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper until thoroughly mixed. Fold in the onion mixture, bread cubes and spinach until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the shredded cheese. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the strata is set, the edges are bubbly and the top is lightly golden brown.
- Let slightly cool, then cut into 8 squares and serve.
Cooking Tip: Try this recipe with added vegetables, like bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 451mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 23g
- Cholesterol: 257mg
Keywords: strata, breakfast, brunch, casserole