Zucchini and summer squash are starting to pop up in the garden, and like most summers, they tend to take over, providing me with more squash than I can handle. So, I’m always looking for new and fun ways to use the veggie. Which is how this Summer Veggie Frittata was born.
There are several reasons why this is such a delicious and nutritious way to start the day:
- This frittata is packed with protein from the eggs and Greek yogurt. In fact, each wedge has 19 grams! Plus, the egg (yolks) provide a dose of vitamin D, choline, iron, B vitamins, lutein and zeaxanthin (promote eye and brain health) and the yogurt contains probiotics that can help support gut health.
- The addition of Dijon mustard, along with the sauteed shallot in olive oil, provides depth of flavor to the egg base. If you don’t stock Dijon, you should! It’s one of my secret culinary weapons for dishes like this one. Shallots are also pretty awesome – they look like a mini onion but have mild onion and garlic flavor; they’re delicious!
- The zucchini and summer squash are loaded with vitamin and minerals, but they’re also water-packed, so it’s best to shred them, then squeeze the water out with a kitchen towel. Water is a good thing, except when it comes to an egg bake! No one likes a watery egg bake…
- And last, but not least, it’s one of those breakfasts you can prep once and eat all week! Slice it up and keep it in containers and reheat each morning for a balanced, delish breakfast! Yay!
Now tell me, what is your favorite way to cook with zucchini and summer squash?!Print
A flavorful frittata with zucchini, summer squash and cheddar cheese.
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 small zucchinis, shredded
- 1 small summer squash, shredded
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small shallot, peeled and minced
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, Dijon, salt, and black pepper until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Place the zucchini and summer squash in a kitchen towel and squeeze the water from it over a bowl. Discard the water. Set aside.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat olive oil to medium-low heat. Add the shallot and sauté 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add the shredded zucchini and summer squash and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes or until slightly soft.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and gently stir to incorporate the zucchini throughout the eggs. Top with cheddar cheese. Cook on medium-low heat until the sides of the frittata start to set. Transfer to the oven and cook 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Let slightly cool, then slice into wedges.
Cooking Tip: Oven cooking time will vary depending on how long you cook the frittata on the stove.
Make it a Meal: Serve with a cup of fruit or a green salad.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 493mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 388mg
Keywords: frittata, omelet, summer, zucchini, summer squash, vegetarian