Have you ever made golden, delicious, savory and sweet pancakes? If not, now is the time! These sweet corn pancakes come highly recommended because they are ALL of those things.
The pancake batter is a mix of whole grain flour, cornmeal, leavening agents (baking soda and powder), buttermilk, eggs and a tab of melted butter. And sweet corn, of course! They’re served with just a drizzle of real maple syrup for that savory + sweet goodness.
Did you know that cornmeal is also a whole grain? Sometimes corn gets a bad reputation, but it’s actually a good source of fiber, just like the whole grain flour I often use in my recipes. It also provides a nice texture to the cakes that I think you’ll really fall in love with.
For a higher protein meal, serve with turkey or veggie breakfast sausages and fruit!Print
Savory sweet corn pancakes served with pure maple syrup.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 ¼ cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and butter until combined. Whisk the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in the sweet corn kernels. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Once hot, scoop a few ¼ cup dollops of pancake batter into the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes, until pancakes are set. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup.
Storage Tip: Make in advance and freeze in airtight containers or a Ziplog bag for up to 2 months.
Make it a Meal: Serve with fresh fruit.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 312
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 314mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
Keywords: pancakes, breakfast, brunch, corn, sweet corn