Sweet Potato Fritters
What exactly is a fritter? While there are many types of fritters that are made with a variety of ingredients, in general fritters are a seasoned batter that are deep fried. They can be sweet or savory.
I put together a pan-fried fritter that is both sweet and savory. It’s made with shredded sweet potatoes, fresh ginger, ground cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne pepper, plus some flour and eggs to hold them together. They’re lightly pan-fried in olive oil until crispy on the outside.
If you’re up for it, you can serve them with the yogurt Srirach sauce (which is just Greek yogurt, Sriracha and a little honey) or you can make them into breakfast fritters by serving them with over-easy eggs. YUM!
I recommend using olive or avocado oil for pan-frying the fritters, and you only need just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. To assure they become crispy, make sure the pan is hot and the oil is rippling before adding the fritter batter. It should sizzle upon contact.
To make it a little lower in sodium, you can always adjust the amount of salt you add to the batter. That’s one of the many great things about cooking – you can make the recipe work for you!
To make the fritters gluten free, try using gluten free all-purpose flour or you could try almond or coconut flour.
To make the fritters dairy free, you don’t need to change anything about the fritter recipe, but you could use plant-based yogurt instead of Greek to make the dipping sauce.
Now go ahead and get cooking! I’m pretty sure you’ll fall in love with these crispy little cakes.Print
Sweet Potato Fritters
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 15-25 mins
- Yield: Makes 8 fritters (Serves 4) 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
Sweet potato fritters with fresh ginger, cinnamon and cayenne.
Sweet Potato Fritters:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and grated
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil
Yogurt Sriracha Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- ½ tablespoon honey
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until combined.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet to medium heat. Working in batches, use 2 spoons to scoop and push dollops of the sweet potato mixture into the hot oil, spacing them at least 1 inch apart. Use the back the spoon to slightly flatten each fritter. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the bottom of the fritter is lightly browned, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes, until the fritter is set.
- Transfer fritters to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, Sriracha and honey.
- Serve the fritters with the yogurt Sriracha sauce.
Serving Idea: Serve fritters with over-easy eggs for a quick breakfast.
Prep Tip: Use a food processor or cheese grater to shred the sweet potatoes.
- Serving Size: 2 fritters
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 245mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
Keywords: fritters, side dish, sweet potatoes, ginger, cinnamon, vegetarian, vegan