Tomato Cucumber Gazpacho
Have you ever tried chilled soup? Gazpacho is an easy-to-make blended soup made with tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, fresh herbs, vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil. It is refreshing, especially during the hot summer months, and can be served with grilled fish for a complete and balanced meal!
Here’s how to make it:
- Because we’re eating this soup raw, it’s important to grab the freshest ingredients you can find, whether that’s garden or farmer’s market tomatoes and cucumbers or the brightest and freshest ones you can grab in the supermarket. Also grab a sweet onion, a bell pepper and a bunch of fresh basil.
- Give the produce a quick rinse-off in the sink, then chop the tomatoes, cucumber, onion and bell pepper into cubes so they can fit in a blender or food processor.
- Add the veggies, basil, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt and sugar (if using) and puree until super smooth.
- Taste the mixture and adjust seasoning, if you’d like. If it tastes a little flat, add a bit more lemon juice, then taste again. If it’s still a little flat, add a bit more salt. If it tastes too tart/sour, add a little bit of the sugar to balance everything out.
- Transfer the mixture to jars or bowls with a lid and refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve the soup in jars or bowls with pesto and diced avocado on top. Or, just a drizzle of olive oil and some freshly cracked black pepper will work!
- And don’t forget to make my Grilled Pesto Salmon or Grilled White Fish with Pineapple Salsa to go along with it.
Tomato Cucumber Gazpacho
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 10-15 mins + chill time
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Side Dish, Soup
- Method: No-Cook
Easy chilled soup made with tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, basil and lemon.
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ½ medium Vidalia or sweet onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 medium English cucumber, cut into 2-inch sections
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and seeded and cut into 2-inch sections
- ½ medium jalapeno, halved and seeded (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pesto, for garnish (optional)
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced, for garnish (optional)
- Freshly cracked black pepper, for garnish
- Place all ingredients, except the avocado, in the pitcher of a blender and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Transfer to a bowl with a lid and refrigerate 30-60 minutes. Pour into bowls and top with diced avocado (if using), swirls of pesto (if using) and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.
Make it a Meal: Serve with Grilled Pesto Salmon or Grilled White Fish with Pineapple Salsa.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: gazpacho, soup, summer, tomato, cucumber