Trail Mix Bars
I cannot possibly express in writing how good these trail mix bars are. But I will try and do my best because I want everyone else to experience them and love them just as much as I do!
So let me just first say that this recipe has peanut butter in it. Whenever I say that, most people come running, or at least run to the store to get the rest of the ingredients to make the peanut butter recipe.
And not only do they have peanut butter, but they have loads of nuts and seeds, oats, dried cranberries and/or dark chocolate, dates and a dab of honey and coconut oil to bring it all together.
Once they’re refrigerated, you slice them up into bars and thoroughly enjoy them. And while they’re the perfect pre- or post-workout snack and can easily be packed in a lunch bag, I do suggest keeping them in the refrigerator as much as possible, as they can get a bit messy at room temperature (but are totally worth it).
And while the pure deliciousness is the main draw to making these trail mix bars, the other major perk is that they’re packed with fiber, heart-healthy fats and a bit of protein – all of the things that make for a fabulous snack. The fiber helps keep things in your digestive tract moving along nicely, the mono- and polyunsaturated fats and fiber help lower cholesterol or keep cholesterol at a healthy level, and the protein and fats keep you full in between meals.
And if you have a chocolate tooth, I recommend stirring in those mini dark chocolate chips. Not only are they scrumptious, but they provide a boost of antioxidants!
Now, let’s get snacking!Print
Trail Mix Bars
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: Serves 16 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: No-Cook
Easy homemade trail mix bars with peanut butter, nuts, seeds and fruit (or chocolate)!
- 1 cup nut butter
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup chopped shelled pistachios
- ½ cup pitted dates, chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried cranberries or dark chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Line an 8-inch baking dish with extra-large piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the nut butter, honey and coconut oil in a microwaveable glass bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir to combine.
- Add the oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, dates, dried cranberries or chocolate chips and salt and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and press into a firm, even layer. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until form.
- Lift the bars out of the baking dish using the sides of the parchment paper and place on a cutting board. Cut into 16 bars.
- Store in an airtight container or a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator.
Substitution Tip: Use almond butter instead of peanut butter, if desired. Use any combination of chopped nuts.
- Serving Size: 1/16 of recipe
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: trail mix bars, bars, trail mix, snack