Mornings can be hectic and chaotic, and it can be difficult to find time to plan for breakfast.
Personally, I find it helpful to have a few breakfast items prepped so I can grab them on my way out the door. Things like breakfast sandwiches, egg muffins, protein bars, and fruit and yogurt can be lifesavers, and I’m always looking for ways to keep breakfast interesting (and easy). That’s where Vanilla Chai Overnight Oats come in to play…
Once a week, I stir up a batch of overnight oats, made with old-fashioned rolled oats, chia seeds, milk, honey or maple syrup and vanilla extract. This version calls for chai tea leaves (right from the tea bags) to give the oats a unique flavor (and a little caffeine). I spoon the oats into containers and let them sit in my fridge overnight. In the morning, I toss some fruit and nuts on top and get on with my day (in a delicious way).
It’s a beautiful thing!
Oats, chia seeds and chai tea leaves soaked in milk, maple syrup and vanilla and topped with fresh berries and nuts makes for a perfectly simple plant-based breakfast.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. chai tea leaves (cut from the tea bags)
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 ½ cups milk (almond, soy, cow’s, coconut)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ cup fresh berries
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together oats, chia seeds, chai tea leaves, maple syrup or honey, milk, vanilla extract and salt until combined. Let sit 5-10 minutes, then whisk again. Transfer to glass containers or jars with a lid and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Serve with fresh berries and almonds.
Cooking Tip: Store up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Variation/Substitution Tips: Top with any combination of chopped fruit and nuts.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 185mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: overnight oats, oats, oatmeal, breakfast, brunch