I’ve tried a lot of white chicken chili recipes over the years, and this one is by far my favorite!
It features loads of tender chicken breast, cannellini beans, green chilies, a dab of cream cheese and loads of spices. Top it with crushed tortilla chips, shredded Monterey cheese, diced avocado, fresh cilantro and some plain Greek yogurt and you’ve got a really, really good bowl of chili.
Why this chicken chili is a balanced meal:
It provides fiber: The beans and avocado provide fiber, which will help keep you full and satisfied, and are considered heart-healthy because fiber helps lower cholesterol or keep cholesterol at normal levels.
It provides protein: The chicken breast and beans provide protein. A little cheese as a topping will also provide some protein. Like fiber, protein helps fill you up and keep you fuller, longer.
It provides heart-healthy fats: The olive oil used to saute the onions and garlic is a source of monounsaturated fats. The avocado used as topping also provides monounsaturated fat!
It provides vitamins and minerals: The onions, garlic, chicken breast, beans, avocado, cheese, etc all provide vitamins and minerals our bodies need!
Probiotic bonus: If you add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt to your bowl of soup, you’re getting some bonus probiotics as well!
It’s satisfying and delicious: And most importantly, it is satisfying because it’s delicious, comforting and nourishing.Print
The best white chicken chili recipe with tender chicken breast, cannellini beans, green chilies and loads of spices with your favorite toppings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, peeled and diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 7-ounce can diced green chilies with juice
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- 2–4 ounces low-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Toppings: Crushed tortilla chips, shredded Monterey cheese, diced avocado, fresh cilantro, plain Greek yogurt
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the olive oil to medium. Add the onion and saute 4-5 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the garlic and sauté another 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the cumin, oregano, salt, paprika, coriander and black pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts, chicken stock and green chilies and stir to combine. Add the beans. Bring to a simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken breasts are fully cooked.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken breast. Return the shredded chicken back into the pot. Add the lime zest and juice and cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese is melted into the soup. Stir in the chopped cilantro. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve the chili in bowls topped with desired toppings.
Cooking Tip: To make these vegetarian, skip the chicken and use 2-3 additional cans of cannellini beans.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 381mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
Keywords: chicken, chili, soup, stew