The best white chicken chili recipe with tender chicken breast, cannellini beans, green chilies and loads of spices with your favorite toppings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, peeled and diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 7-ounce can diced green chilies with juice
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- 2–4 ounces low-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Toppings: Crushed tortilla chips, shredded Monterey cheese, diced avocado, fresh cilantro, plain Greek yogurt
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the olive oil to medium. Add the onion and saute 4-5 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the garlic and sauté another 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the cumin, oregano, salt, paprika, coriander and black pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts, chicken stock and green chilies and stir to combine. Add the beans. Bring to a simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken breasts are fully cooked.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken breast. Return the shredded chicken back into the pot. Add the lime zest and juice and cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese is melted into the soup. Stir in the chopped cilantro. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve the chili in bowls topped with desired toppings.
Cooking Tip: To make these vegetarian, skip the chicken and use 2-3 additional cans of cannellini beans.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 381mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
Keywords: chicken, chili, soup, stew