Zucchini Quick Bread
What more could you ask for when it comes to summer baking? A loaf, fresh out of the oven, of Zucchini Quick Bread is really all we need.
Typical quick bread recipes call for all-purpose flour, a lot of sugar and can be pretty high in fat, too. This version is upgraded from both a nutrition, taste and texture standpoint by making the following swaps:
- Less oil, more zucchini. Not only does the zucchini add a ton of nutrition, it also adds moisture to this bread. That doesn’t mean it’s wise to completely swap out the oil, but if you want the bread to be even lower in fat, go ahead and use unsweetened applesauce instead.
- Less sugar, and I use dark brown sugar because it has a more concentrated flavor, meaning you’re not sacrificing flavor overall.
- The addition of Greek yogurt because, like oil and zucchini, it adds moisture and a nice texture to the bread.
- I use whole wheat pastry flour (or regular whole wheat flour) or oat flour as the base because they’re both a good source of fiber.
- I swapped out milk chocolate chips for dark chocolate to give us a little boost of antioxidants (I like to choose >80% cacao).
Even with the upgraded nutrition, I think this will become your new favorite zucchini bread recipes! Also a fun tip: if you’re overloaded on zucchini, shred it and bag it in sealable plastic bags and stick it in the freezer. It’ll last up to a year and you can use it in baked goods whenever you like!Print
Zucchini Quick Bread
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 35-40 mins
- Total Time: 40-50 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Method: Baking
Lower sugar zucchini bread made with whole grains, Greek yogurt and dark chocolate chips.
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 6 ounces plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (⅔ cup)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (from about 1 medium)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together the oil, brown sugar and egg until fluffy. Whisk in the yogurt and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and use a spatula to stir until mostly combined. Fold in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips until just combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until just set. Let slightly cool, then slice and serve.
Cooking Tip: Don’t overmix the batter. Only stir until the ingredients are just combined. This will result in a lighter, fluffier texture.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 149mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
Keywords: bread, zucchini bread, zucchini, quick bread, chocolate