Easy chicken and bean enchilada casseroles layered with whole wheat tortillas, enchilada sauce and cheese.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning*
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 3 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken (from about 1-pound boneless skinless)
- 2 (10-ounce) cans red enchilada sauce
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheeses
- Toppings: Guacamole or diced avocado, sliced green onion, salsa or plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno and sauté 5-7 minutes or until soft. Stir in the frozen corn and taco seasoning and sauté an additional 1-2 minutes or until the corn is no longer frozen.
- Add the beans, green chilies, chicken and one can of the enchilada sauce and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Line two of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Scoop a spoonful of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of the cheese. Repeat 3 more layers, then finish the top layer with an even layer of the remaining can of enchilada sauce, the remaining chicken mixture and cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Let sit 5-10 minutes, then slice into 12 squares and serve with desired toppings.
Cooking Tip: Use prepared rotisserie chicken.
Cooking Tip: Make your own taco seasoning with 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for heat.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 543mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
Keywords: enchiladas, enchilada casserole, taco seasoning