Simple steel cut oats with honeycrisp apples, chopped dates, vanilla, cinnamon and pecans.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water or milk
- 1 medium honeycrisp apple, cored and diced (skins on)
- 8 pitted Medjool dates, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar or maple syrup
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the oats are soft, about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the brown sugar or maple syrup.
- Spoon oatmeal into bowls and top with walnuts or pecans.
Substitution Tip: You can swap in old-fashioned oats or quick oats. Simply read the package directions to determine ratio of water to oats and cook according to package directions. Add the other ingredients as indicated in the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 247
- Sugar: 27g
- Sodium: 52mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: oatmeal, oats, steel cut oats, breakfast, brunch, vegetarian