I am always looking for new and fun ways to enjoy tacos. These sweet potato-stuffed tacos are full of flavor from the homemade taco spice mixture and are packed with nutrition from the sweet potatoes, black beans and ground turkey. Even the toppings provide nourishment (I’m talking avocado, salsa and plain Greek yogurt)!
What makes these taco-stuffed sweet potatoes so nutritious?
- Sweet potatoes: A source of fiber, potassium and vitamin A, and loads of other nutrients!
- Ground turkey or chicken: A good source of protein and B vitamins. A great way to reduce saturated fat is by swapping out high fat red meat with lean poultry.
- Black beans: A source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Plus, they’re inexpensive and easy to work with.
- Avocado: A source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Also a source of fiber!
- Salsa: All veggies here, so we know that comes with vitamins and minerals.
- Plain Greek yogurt: A source of protein and probiotics. Adds creaminess to the dish and a great swap for sour cream.
Add some cilantro for flavor and some crushed tortilla chips for crunch and texture.
You’ll love this easy weeknight dinner!Print
Easy roasted sweet potatoes stuffed with taco meat and your favorite taco toppings.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1-pound ground turkey or chicken
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Diced avocado, plain Greek yogurt, salsa, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke each sweet potato with a fork several times. Wrap each sweet potato in aluminum foil. Place them on a baking sheet or dish. Bake 45-60 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Let them slightly cool, then carefully unwrap them. Use a knife to split the top of each sweet potato open, pulling back the peel. Transfer each to a plate.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Add the ground turkey or chicken and cook 5-7 minutes or until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the black beans.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes (if using). Add ¼ cup water and bring the taco meat to a simmer.
- Spoon the taco meat over the sweet potatoes and top with desired toppings. Serve immediately.
Substitution Tips: Try with ground beef instead of chicken or turkey. Try with crumbled firm tofu or another can of black or pinto beans to make it vegetarian.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 353
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 492mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 36g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
Keywords: taco, tacos, taco tuesday, sweet potato, dinner