Easy roasted sweet potatoes stuffed with taco meat and your favorite taco toppings.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1-pound ground turkey or chicken
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Diced avocado, plain Greek yogurt, salsa, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke each sweet potato with a fork several times. Wrap each sweet potato in aluminum foil. Place them on a baking sheet or dish. Bake 45-60 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Let them slightly cool, then carefully unwrap them. Use a knife to split the top of each sweet potato open, pulling back the peel. Transfer each to a plate.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Add the ground turkey or chicken and cook 5-7 minutes or until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the black beans.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes (if using). Add ¼ cup water and bring the taco meat to a simmer.
- Spoon the taco meat over the sweet potatoes and top with desired toppings. Serve immediately.
Substitution Tips: Try with ground beef instead of chicken or turkey. Try with crumbled firm tofu or another can of black or pinto beans to make it vegetarian.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 353
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 492mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 36g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
Keywords: taco, tacos, taco tuesday, sweet potato, dinner